Motability Insurance – What You Need To Know
The Motability scheme enables those entitled to disability allowance to use their payment to lease a car, scooter or powered wheelchair. This charity organisation has helped millions of people across the UK to become mobile.
The Royal & Sun Alliance (RSA) provide insurance protection for all cars and vehicles leased through Motability. The RSA insurance group is one of the world’s leading insurance groups and has an impressive 300-year heritage.
What Does Motability Insurance Cover?
- Loss or damage to the car
- Permanently fitted in-car equipment such as the built-in audio system or sat-nav
- Accidental damage to the car
- Theft or fire damage
- Repair or replacement of glass such as windscreen, windows etc.
- Stolen keys – replacement locks will be fitted
- Agreed adaptation and modifications
- Accessories and tools supplied with the car
- RSA Motability covers cars for the following purposes:
- Driving your car for unpaid voluntary or charitable work
- Pleasure purposes
- Travel between home and place of work
A courtesy car will be provided if the car is unavailable due to loss or damage.
You can take your car abroad and drive within the EU, Norway, Switzerland, Iceland and Liechtenstein for up to 90 days in any 12-month period.
What It Doesn’t Cover
- Your excess
- Lost keys
- Non-standard modifications not approved by Motability
- Non-standard equipment (optional extras such as audio systems)
- Personal belongings
- Damage to the car’s interior which is not a result of wear and tear
- Unauthorised or uninsured drivers
- Driving other cars
Business use is not covered but can be arranged by contacting RSA Motability and requesting a Business Use application form. The cover will only be provided for one named driver at a time and only applies to your current agreement, it won’t be automatically transferred onto your new car.
Who Can Drive Your Car?
The package includes insurance for up to two nominated drivers, a third driver can be added at an extra cost. In some cases, those with multiple carers, may be able to have multiple drivers on an open plan insurance policy.
Nominated drivers will need to provide the following information:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Driving licence number
- Date they passed their driving test
- Full details of any endorsements
*Only one driver under 21 is permitted
Nominated drivers can be changed, provided they meet the above criteria. However, drivers with previous disqualifications, certain driving convictions or fixed penalty notices within the last five years will not be authorised. Proposed drivers will also need to send details of any previous accidents or claims to RSA Motability.
Proposed drivers with certain motoring convictions, licence endorsements, fixed penalty notices or disqualifications within the last five years will not be allowed.
A temporary driver can be added to your policy for up to 30 days.